Healthy Chicken Saag

If you're following me on Snapchat (susemcd) you'll know that I'm on a big health kick for the new year. I love cooking and often share snaps of me cooking there. This recipe that I cooked and posted yesterday. I got a lot of feedback with requests for the recipe so here it is!


Saag is an Indian dish. the base of the sauce is tomatoes and spinach. I've eaten takeaway versions of this and they were loaded with butter and cream. This recipe has neither and tastes delicious without! I use frozen spinach as I always have it in the freezer. It comes in a bag of little blocks and I use about 8 of those. This is the perfect "Fakeaway"; for when you are trying to be healthy but want something quick and tasty!


Prep Time: 5 minutes.

Cooking time: 20 minutes (Can be left for longer to simmer)
Difficulty: 2/5

Ingredients:


400g chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
150g chopped or baby spinach/ 8 cubes of frozen spinach.
1 onion - finely chopped
2 cloves garlic /2 tsp garlic puree
1 tsp ready chopped chilli 
4 cardomom pods, seeds only
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander
3 tsp cumin

1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon olive / sesame oil
1 Low salt/ sodium stock cube/stock pot - chicken or vegetable
200ml water





Directions

1.Fry the chicken in the olive oil for 3/4 minutes.

2.Add the onion and garlic and fry them for a further 3/4 minutes.
3. Add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes. 

Serve with basmati rice. I also serve mine with a side order of sliced dry-fried onions and red peppers. 


To Garnish: a sprinkling of flaked almonds and chopped fresh coriander.


Optional: For a slightly more indulgent version, add a tablespoon of creme fraiche.